Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Flat butt

So you know that thing that happens when you sit in an office chair for like 10 hours a day, five days a week without moving anything except your right index finger to operate a mouse? Yeah, it's called flat butt. Well, I am determined not to get it, even though I can't dash off on a walk through the park at a moment's notice anymore.

The problem is, daylight savings time is screwing with me. Also, the fact that I actually get to work around 8 a.m. (after a half-hour bus ride and walk), which is astronomically early. I'm used to rolling in around 9 or 9:30 usually. Anyway, the point is I'm a morning exerciser. Always have been. I'm very good at getting up at the crack of dawn and going for a run or going swimming or going to the gym if I absolutely have to because the weather is horrible. In college, when I should have been nursing a hangover, I regularly got up early on weekend mornings to go running. Yes, that's how ridiculous I am.

But now that it's not light until 7, and I'm scared of all the people getting it on in the bushes of Volunteer Park where I usually run (not to mention the crazy people that just stab people randomly on Capitol Hill), I've had to rearrange my schedule. So I've been running in the evening after work whenever I have the time. Which I just don't like as much at all. There are a couple reasons. First of all, after work I'm exhausted. So unless I have some Starbucks around 4, I basically just want to go stare at a wall.

Second, I'm usually really hungry by the time I get home and I hate being hungry so that means I eat six or seven graham crackers like I did tonight and then go running, which is a recipe for disaster (or really bad cramps at least.)

And lastly, who the heck has energy after working all day? Seriously. There is a lot to be said for couch potatoes.

1 comment:

Darlin' T said...

Kirsten, it's also called secretary spread. ;)

And I hear you about being tired and hungry after work. I'm still working on that and I've been at the same job for five years!