Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Am I a horrible person?

I'm about to go return a pair of snowshoes at REI that I've only used three times, but I've already managed to wear down the metal tips at the bottom because I stupidly walked on an asphalt road only partially covered in snow.

To make matters worse, Steve, who is sort of like a dog in this way, has to claim every single piece of gear that we own by writing (or etching, if need be) our last name on it. He tried to use rubbing alcohol to erase the huge, black, block letters he wrote on each of my Tubbs snowshoes, but you can definitely still see the writing.

I have a sinking suspicion that REI will actually refund me my $120 for these snowshoes and then I will feel supremely guilty, even though they did slip off a bunch while I was walking and were hard to adjust. I especially feel badly since Steve found me a much cooler, better working pair of MSR snowshoes on Ebay (or Craigslist or something) for a fraction of the price and part of the reason that I like them is because they're MSR and not Tubbs.

I'm slowly turning into a gear snob.

No comments: