Sunday, January 27, 2008

The scary ride down


I avoided it as long as possible I suppose. I made it through nearly a decade, including three years in Colorado, without downhill skiing. In Colorado, I actually think there is some law against this just like in San Diego it's illegal to avoid the ocean. I mean, come on people, you're in San Diego for God's sakes.

But on Saturday, I finally did it, fulfilling part of a promise to Steve (who grew up near Lake Tahoe and was on the high school ski team) that I would go downhill skiing at least twice this season.

There's a reason I've avoided it for so long. First of all it's expensive as hell, especially if you don't own skis (which I now do, compliments of Steve who drove all the way down to that weird city that I can't pronounce south of Seattle that starts with an E where there's a good used ski shop).

Also, my first experience skiing consisted of my dad "accidentally" taking my friend and I to the top of a black diamond on the very first run. Then I spent the rest of the day in sheer frustration, walking down the majority of the slopes, as my friend (who had also never skied before or so she said) glided by with no problems whatsoever.

Anyway, these were the bittersweet (well, mostly bitter) memories I carried with me as Steve and I pulled up to The Summit at Snoqualmie about an hour east of Seattle.

Recommendation No. 1: Definitely visit this resort if you're a beginner. Tons of green and blue runs for people like me that are still figuring out how you're supposed to do that cool hip-swivel turn thing all while not falling into the snow.

Recommendation No. 2: Definitely visit this resort if you've ever wished you were back in high school. It's like party central with the "cool kids," (i.e. the snowboarders) all in their trendy Burton gear, hanging out by the bonfire and doing shots at the bar. Meanwhile the losers (i.e. the skiers) spend most of the time trying to avoid them both on the slopes (where they're littered about like an annoying obstacle course - why do they insist on sitting on the snow for so long? Isn't that cold?) and in the lodge, where they cluster in small packs. (Want to know why snowboarders think they're so cool? Check out this history...)

Recommendation No. 3: Definitely wear goggles if it's snowing really hard, like four to five inches in one hour. This is not Steve's fault that we didn't have goggles. He really didn't think I would be moving very fast on my first try after so long. He didn't know that I was really hustling him and had been secretly practicing for weeks. (Just kidding of course). And he couldn't predict the weather. In Seattle, there's only ever rain. At least he didn't "accidentally" take me on a black diamond.

All in all, the day was a success and I've decided I will become the best mediocre skier possible - maybe I'll even learn how to do shots at the bar. That can't be too hard.

2 comments:

Kermit said...

Nice turns!!! Parallel turns on your first day back out? You'll be heading out on the big stuff in no time!

Nanette said...

Hey! I know you! (Found your link via Jen's blog.) Looks like you're doing well! I'm adding you to my Google Reader, so I'll be back.