Monday, January 14, 2008

Finally, a blog

I've been feeling inadequate. How can I possibly be a journalist and not have a blog? Everyone I know who's ever remotely cared about anything has a blog. And then there's me and I write for a living and yet, no blog. But what to write about? I could pick a business trend, but that's what I write about for my day job, so no fun. And my daily life, well, it's great for the most part but I'm sure you don't want to hear about what I ate for breakfast or who I'm going out with today. Boring. (But if you are in the mood to check out a blog that's written well about someone's everyday life (and you happen to be having a quarter-life crisis), you should read my friend Jen's, she's great: http://onenjenifer.blogspot.com/ )
Anyway, I didn't think I could write about the outdoors, which I absolutely love, because I'm not, well, hardcore. Nope, not at all. I could hike or snowshoe or go backpacking every weekend, but you would never find me hanging from icy waterfalls or rappelling down canyons or even hiking anything harder than a Colorado fourteener. I don't think there's a problem with that and neither does my husband, Steve, who is hardcore - but he will tell you he's not. (Don't listen to him, he's lying.) If you think I have a complex with this, you're absolutely right. It's because I've lived in Colorado and I live in Washington, two states where if you're not obsessively active you're basically taking up space. So of course I feel like I'm not hardcore enough. But maybe that will change. Lately, I've been feeling like I should have an outdoor goal. And I think I know what it is: to climb Mt. Rainier. Which means I have a lot of work ahead of me, especially since I've never worn a cramp-on in my life.
So if you are one of those people who doesn't necessarily want to risk their life to have a good time outside, keep reading. And if you are, maybe this blog will make you feel great about yourself and you'll go out and buy even more Patagonia gear because after all, you deserve it.

6 comments:

Sonja said...

Yes, you have some catching up to do...especially since your younger sister has already climbed a volcano in Chile. Get to it Swester!

Don said...

I think some reconsideration may be warranted. Any good gear-head (or someone married to one) should know the importance of good gear. Remember there can be important differences between a Marmot and a North Face jacket etc... It was seem that, from some previous evidence, the important distinction between brands for your climber often seems to come down to which of the best is available on Craigs list or E-Bay. This is not to say that the type of sewing machine used to stitch together a garment might, at some point in the future, be the deciding factor.

Kilgore Trout said...

You're a lot more hardcore than you'd like to admit! I think I'm going to start a blog entitled The Writer's Husband"!

Klaus said...

.....or how about a Blog:

"The Father in Law of the Husband of the Climber's Wife"??

My expectations are high....you are an awesome writer and I am looking forward to 3 D virtual footage of Trails and Mountains that you are writing about....

Jen said...

Lookie here! You linked to me, which brought me back to you (via SiteMeter)! So glad you started a blog. You'll find it strangely gratifying to write what you want, and hopefully, others will want to read it, too. That part is strangely addicting. Can't wait to read more!

scott said...

hey, could you move over a bit? You're kinda taking up my space :)

just kidding... ... ... no, really! If I didn't have you in colorado....well, I guess I don't now...but, were all hard-core in our own element...for example..."cafe con leche"..not for me...but you're pretty hard core about it...and that drink thing you call mate'? ugh...it's totally gross, but you love it....that's way hardcore...and you quit your job to drive around the country for a year...holy cow, I'll never find myself doing that.

hardcore is totally what you make it...and I think you're making it just fine.

good to see your blogs, I'm excited to try and keep up with them.

btw...don't all your jackets say 'pataguchi'?

-Scott